PLEASE NOTE THAT PHARMACIES MAY PROVIDE YOU WITH GENERIC BRANDS AND THE NAME MAY BE DIFFERENT.
- To prevent nausea: Place a Zofran wafer under the tongue twice a day for a period of 5 days.
- To prevent pain: TAKE BOTH TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME
1. Take 1 - 2 x Naprogesic x 3 - 4 times per day for a period of 3 days
2. Take 1-2x Mersyndol Forte x 3-4 times per day for a period of 3 days
(Cease all medication if abdominal discomfort or nausea present), then depending on pain/discomfort swap to Panadol every 6 hours until pain ceases.
- To prevent gastric irritation: Take 1 x 20mgn Somac per day for a period of 7 Days
- To prevent infection: Commence and complete Keflex/Clindamycin until all boxes are finished (Some prescriptions may include two boxes).
PLEASE ASK YOUR PHARMACIST IF YOU ARE UNSURE.
NO HERBAL MEDICATIONS OR PREPARATIONS TO BE TAKEN
When you get home
- Remove mouth packs if bleeding has ceased. If not, maintain pressure by biting down on the pack. These packs should be placed at the very back of the mouth. Mouth packs should be removed prior to eating, drinking & sleeping to avoid swallowing them. Always ensure that you remove the same amount of packs that you have placed in your mouth.
- Have a drink of Eno. Eno will settle the stomach.
- Have something to eat e.g. Ice cream.
- Commence antibiotics.
- Take prescribed pain relief.
- Apply ice to face.
- If, due to medications, stomach irritation does occur - take Somac & Mylanta & cease all other medications.
- Drink from a sports bottle to maintain adequate hydration (Powerade/Gatorade).
- Commence mouth rinsing 24 hours post operatively if bleeding has ceased, every two hours while awake for a period of one month.
- Rinse your mouth with Salt Water Solution – (a teaspoon of salt dissolved into a glass of warm water)
- In conjunction with the mouth rinsing, irrigation of sockets with the syringe provided after every meal for the first 28 days at least will prevent post-operative infection.
- Clean your teeth after every time you eat (at least 3 times per day). Use a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Place gauze or tissue pad over area where tooth/teeth removed.
- Bite down firmly for at least 1⁄2 an hour at a time before replacing the gauze.
- Alternatively use tea bags as a mouth pack if you have run out of gauze.
- Take prescribed pain relief as soon as you get home after having taken the Eno & Ice cream and a drink.
- Apply ice to face to provide topical pain relief.
- Generally peaks after 3rd or 4th day and takes 4 – 5 days to settle.
- Applying ice for the first 48 hours will reduce the severity of the swelling.
- Elevate head at 45° to help reduce swelling in the immediate post-operative period.
Generally takes 24 – 48 hours to wear off. Do not be concerned by this as it reduces the amount of analgesia you will be required to take. Be careful not to have anything hot until the numbness has worn off.
Dissolve in approximately 10 - 15 days. NO HERBAL MEDICATIONS OR PREPARATIONS TO BE TAKEN
- Nothing hot until the numbness has worn off.
- A soft, soluble diet for one week following surgery. Use your judgement to decide when you feel it is appropriate to return to normal foods.
- Refer to the foods suggested below & please note the box containing the foods to avoid.